Understanding Your Child’s Heart
“My son, give me thine heart,
and let thine eyes observe my ways.”
God wants His people to guard (4:23), guide (23:19) and give their hearts. When children give their hearts to their parents, they trust them to protect, provide and prepare them to follow God’s will for their lives.
Understand this about your child’s heart:
• By nature my own heart is sinful and therefore imperfect.
• I need you to hold me accountable and teach me good character by helping
me to think Biblically.
• My view of God and how to trust Him is being shaped by your influence
and example. Teach me how to properly respond to His authority.
• I feel most secure when there is harmony and structure in the home, and
I am allowed to become who God wants me to be.
• I lack discernment and need you to keep me from the appearance of evil
so I will not be weakened to the evil itself.
• Your acceptance and understanding means the world to me even though
we do not always see eye to eye on some things.
• Your unconditional love when I have stumbled teaches me forgiveness
• Know that I have problems and do not believe me if I act like I do not
need to talk with you about them.
• Your time is more important to me than your gifts.
• Never give up on me or stop praying for me.